Shades of Grey

Shades of Grey

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Sometimes it is better when the path goes around the plan

I finished with "I Dreamt of Africa".  You can see that I wound up in a different place than where I started.  I suppose that's a little bit of a parallel with my life.  I started out with a plan when I was younger but so many twists and turns in the world and here I am living in the middle of no where in Colorado when I grew up in western Pa.  I  love the way things turned out rather than that sterile plan I had at such a young and inexperienced age. 

I learn that way through art as well.  I was once asked "What do you want your art to say?"  My answer was "It speaks to me"  In the beginning of creating a piece I will have a basic idea of what I want to do but then I get lost in the flow of creating and the piece just starts to come alive and suggest other avenues that I should explore. In the 1st version that I sketched I had the background very literal.  As I was working on it "literal" was just not what I was feeling.  I wanted the black & white of the zebras to pop against a more abstract version of a sunset.   (If you scroll down all of the way you will see the pics)

2 of my pieces will be part of the exhibition Mosaics: Cutting edges at the 910 Arts Gallery in Denver CO Nov 4 - Dec 12  "Old Blue Eyes" & "Shades of Grey"  I will be there opening night & possibly Nov 18 (3rd Friday)  Hopefully I will see some of you there!

The leaves this year in Southern Colorado are just gorgeous!  This is a bold statement but in all of my 18 years in Colorado I'm pretty sure that this is the most spectacular fall that I have seen!  I had to add a few pics so you could see it too!

I will leave you with this quote because the older I get the more I realize how true it is!

People need to be made more aware of the need to work at learning how to live because sometimes life goes away too quickly  -- Andy Warhol

Thank you for stopping by !

No comments:

Post a Comment